Chef Thi at Powisset Farm offers this excellent way to use an uncured ham steak, which many shareholders got in their Fall/Winter Meat CSA.
Uncured Ham Steak with Mustard Dill Cream Sauce
1 Trustees fresh ham steak
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon butter(salted)
1 shallot, diced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon maple syrup
¼ cup heavy cream
2 sprigs of dill, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Pat the steak dry on both sides. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat up a large oven safe skillet on high heat. Place seasoned steak in the pan and sear to form a golden crust on both sides.
4. Place pan in the oven for 10 minutes or until the internal temp reads 150 degrees or until it is your desired temperature. Place steak on a plate to rest for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile in a small saucepan, drizzle olive oil and butter on medium heat. Add the shallots and cook to soften. Add the Dijon and maple syrup to slightly caramelize. Pour cream into the pan to thicken the sauce (about 3-5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Toss in the dill.
Slice the ham steak and serve with mustard cream sauce.