Between October 1 and March 31, we welcome horses for riding on Crane Beach. All horses must arrive in a trailer with a current Crane Beach Horse Permit. Permits are available for purchase by Members, and the Membership must remain in good standing for the duration of Horse season. For Commercial Use Permits, the business owner (e.g. Stable Owner, Trainer) is required to purchase the Membership. Permits must be purchased online before your first visit. Once purchased online, permits can be picked up at the Crane Beach gate beginning on October 1st. Ipswich residents must get a Town-issued horse trailer sticker from Ipswich Town Hall.
In addition to having a valid Horse Permit, to visit Crane Beach a Timed Entry Pass is required on weekends and strongly encouraged on weekdays. This includes Permit Holders, Horse Trailer Permit Holders, Members, and the public. As always, entry is free for the Crane Beach permit-holding vehicle towing the horse trailer. Others arriving in separate vehicles are subject to regular Crane Beach admission fees. For more information, visit here.
In addition to the Crane Estate’s general regulations, all visitors with horses must abide by the following:
- Horses and horseback riding (Ipswich residents and non-residents) will be allowed from October 1 to March 31 daily from 8AM – Sunset.
- Horses are only permitted BELOW THE HIGH TIDE LINE, and BETWEEN THE BEACH ACCESS ROAD AND THE MOUTH OF THE ESSEX RIVER. They are not permitted ON THE TRAILS, AT STEEP HILL BEACH, OR AT CASTLE HILL AT ANY TIME.
- Horses are prohibited from one hour before high tide to one hour after high tide.
- Crane Beach gates are locked at sunset. All visitors must leave the property prior to this time.
- Horses may not be left unattended.
- Dogs may not be tethered to a horse or allowed to run unleashed in the horse riding area.
- Safety of all visitors is of the utmost concern. Pedestrians have the right of way.
- Horseback riders at a trot, canter, or gallop are required to check their horses to a well-controlled walk whenever they approach pedestrians, and to show the pedestrian every courtesy and consideration in passing.
- Horses should stay as far as possible from any marine mammals who may be resting on the beach.
- All visitors with horses are required to clean up and remove any manure that falls between the trailer and the high tide line during their visit; this includes shavings dropped from the trailer upon arrival or departure from the parking lot.
- Trailers displaying an Ipswich horse permit sticker must park in the Ipswich parking lot. Trailers displaying a Trustees horse permit sticker must park in the main parking lot.
- A Professional Use Permit is required for any visitors leading rides, lessons, or rendering equine services that are outside the scope of personal recreation. Crane Beach reserves the right to revoke permits that are misused.
- The Trustees have the discretion to close the beach to horses based on capacity, tides, weather, or other circumstances.
- Horse trailer permits must be renewed annually, and should be permanently affixed to the driver’s side of the horse trailer.
- VIOLATIONS OF ANY CRANE BEACH REGULATION MAY RESULT IN REVOCATION OF STICKER AND RIDING PRIVILEGES.
2021 Crane Beach Horse Permit Rates:
- Private Use: Horse Permit for personal recreation use only
- 2-4 Horse Trailer: $140
- 5+ Horse Trailer: $175
- Commercial Use: Permit for professional use. Activities include, but are not limited to, group or individual rides-for-hire, lessons, and other guided experiences.