Between October 1 and March 31, we welcome horses for riding on Crane Beach. All horses must arrive in a trailer with a current Crane Beach Horse Permit. Permits must be purchased online before your first visit. Ipswich residents should get an Ipswich horse trailer sticker from Town Hall.
In addition to having a valid Horse Permit, a Timed Entry Pass is not required but strongly encouraged to visit Crane Beach until further notice. This includes Permit Holders, Horse Trailer Permit Holders, Members, and the public.
Passes for the vehicle towing the horse trailer are FREE. Others arriving in separate vehicles are subject to regular Crane Beach admission fees. As always, entry is free to Crane Beach Permit Holders. For more information, visit here.
All visitors with horses must abide by the regulations of our Horse program:
- Horses and horseback riding (Ipswich residents and non-residents) will be allowed from October 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021 – seven days per week, 8AM – Sunset.
- Horse trailer stickers must be renewed annually.
- Crane Beach gates are locked at sunset. Riders and mounts must leave the property prior to this time.
- HORSES ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT ON THE OCEAN SIDE OF THE WRACK LINE. HORSES ARE PERMITTED ONLY BETWEEN THE BEACH ACCESS ROAD AND THE MOUTH OF THE ESSEX RIVER.
- Horses are prohibited from one hour before high tide to one hour after high tide.
- Horses may not be left unattended.
- Dogs may not be tethered to a horse or allowed to run unleashed in the horse riding area.
- Pedestrians have the right of way. Horseback riders must respect other visitors.
- Safety of all visitors is of the utmost concern. Horseback riders at a trot, canter, or gallop are required to check their horses to a well controlled walk whenever they approach pedestrians, and to show the pedestrian every courtesy and consideration, in passing.
- All permit holders are required to clean up any horse manure and shavings dropped from the trailer upon arrival or departure from the parking lot.
- The Trustees have the discretion to close the beach to horses based on capacity, weather or other circumstances.
- Horse trailer stickers must be permanently affixed to the driver’s side of the horse trailer, Replacement stickers may be picked up at the main beach gate. Please bring all or part of the original sticker from the trailer, regardless of condition to receive your replacement.
- Trailers displaying an Ipswich resident sticker must park in the Ipswich parking lot. Trailers displaying a The Trustees sticker must park in the main parking lot.
- VIOLATIONS OF ANY CRANE BEACH REGULATION MAY RESULT IN REVOCATION OF STICKER AND RIDING PRIVILEGES.