What to do with Rhubarb? Rhubarb is a tangy, versatile plant — great for sweet and savory dishes!
Sweet Rhubarb Jam
- make a rhubarb jam by chopping up 1lb of rhubarb into 1″ pieces.
- Put into a pot with a ¼ cup of water, ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice (or more if you like the citrus flavor!), ½ cup sugar (or more if you prefer it sweeter), and 1 whole vanilla bean.
- Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce to a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until jam is thick and has darkened slightly (usually about 25-30 minutes).
Savory Rhubarb Compote
- Finely chop 1 onion and 2 garlic cloves, sauté in olive oil over medium heat until softened.
- Add 1lb of rhubarb chopped in 1″ pieces, ¼ cup water, ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar (can also use a bit of maple syrup and/or honey if you want it sweeter), and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a medium-low and let simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb has broken down and thickened.
Enjoy with just about anything — roasted veggies, pork chops, corn on the cob, or fish.