In 1904, a young entrepreneur named Henry P. Kendall took over his uncle’s failing cotton batting factory on the banks of the Neponset River in Walpole. During his lifetime, he transformed the factory into the large, multi-national Kendall Company. Mr. Kendall’s success enabled him to acquire and protect Moose Hill Farm, which housed a Guernsey dairy herd in the 1940’s, along with thousands of acres of woodlands in Sharon.
Moose Hill Farm’s diverse landscape reveals how people have impacted the landscape during the past several centuries. Woodlands shelter mature American chestnuts, despite the blight that nearly wiped out this once dominant eastern forest presence. Cellar holes, foundation edges, stone walls, and open fields reflect agricultural trends in Massachusetts, which evolved from homestead to sheep farm to dairy during the 18th and 19th centuries.
Property Acquisition History
Moose Hill Farm was acquired by a gift from the Henry P. Kendall Foundation LLC on March 30, 2005.
Archival material related to Moose Hill Farm is available to researchers at the Archives & Research Center in Sharon, Massachusetts.
Moose Hill Farm Collection (0.25 linear feet)
Documents the building, alteration, and running of the farm by the Kendall Family, 1943-1961.
The Archives & Research Center welcomes donations of documents, manuscripts, records, photographs, maps and memorabilia that pertain to a particular property. Please contact us at 781.784.8200 or email@example.com.