Press Releases

Trustees Acquire 195-Acre Millborn Farm in Sherborn and Millis

Sherborn and Millis  |  March 12, 2024

SHERBORN, Mass. – The Trustees of Reservations announced today it has acquired Millborn Farm, a beautiful 195-acre property with frontage on the Charles River that is situated in the towns of Sherborn and Millis in the heart of the Charles River Valley.

The Trustees recently finalized the purchase of the property and will continue fundraising to support reservation activation costs and an endowment for its long-term care. Activation costs include studying the ecological, agricultural, and cultural resources, designing, and installing signage, parking, and clearing, grading and maintaining trails.

“It is a tremendous honor for The Trustees to protect this property forever and share it with the public,” said Katie Theoharides, president and CEO of The Trustees. “The work now begins to get the property ready for visitors. Thank you to our many partners and donors who generously gave their support to this acquisition, including the MA Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs which provided a $750,000 grant.” Theoharides said The Trustees anticipate the property being open to the public in approximately two years.

The property includes 195 acres of open landscape crisscrossed by stonewall-lined hay fields, forestland, farm lanes, and more than a mile of waterfront along the Charles River, Bogastow Brook and South End Pond. The farm contains 75 acres of hayfields and grasslands that support native pollinators, plants, and wildlife.  The property also includes river floodplain, which is critical for water quality protection and flood storage, especially during storm events. The protection of land like this contributes to the resiliency of landscapes in the face of climate change. One hundred and thirty-nine species of birds have been documented at Millborn Farm and it is believed that as many as 50 more species frequent the property.

“We are very excited to be turning over stewardship of Millborn Farm to the capable and creative team at The Trustees whose mission will allow the public to enjoy the property as much as we have and to protect the resident turkey, deer and coyote who call it home,” said Isabel Dora Constable, a representative of the family who have owned the property since 1920. “We hope it can become a launching pad for a blue trail along the Charles River to paddle to other Trustees properties.”

The Constables are descendants of Charles Eliot, who founded The Trustees in 1891.

Millborn Farm connects via the Charles River to nine other Trustees reservations: Cedariver in Millis and Shattuck Reservation in Medfield, Bridge Island Meadows to the east across South End Pond, Rocky Narrows in Sherborn, Medfield Meadow Lots in Medfield, Peters Reservation in Dover, and Charles River Peninsula in Needham. Further, hiking trails from Shattuck Reservation connect to Noon Hill Reservation in Medfield and those from Peters Reservation connect to Chase Woodlands in Dover. The connectivity would make a water trail possible between the nine different properties.

With a long history and significant presence in the Charles River Valley, The Trustees protects more than 2,600 acres across 17 diverse and dynamic properties in the region, including its first reservation, Rocky Narrows, acquired in 1897. A strong demand exists for outdoor recreation opportunities in the area; some of The Trustees’ most-visited properties are in the Charles River Valley.

The Trustees’ vision for the property includes opening it to the public for self-guided exploration and passive recreation such as birdwatching, hiking, horseback riding, and snowshoeing. Given the extensive waterfront, Trustees engagement staff will collaborate with Trustees ecologists to determine how best to provide water access, which could include boardwalks, viewing platforms, a kayak launch or managed shoreline access.

This project has received support from the Sherborn Rural Lands Foundation, Upper Charles Conservation Land Trust, Sherborn Forest and Trail Association, and the Norfolk Hunt Club.  Trustees will continue working with and engaging existing and new community partners as it enters this next phase of planning.

To support the fundraising campaign to help with reservation activation and the property’s endowment, go to





More about The Trustees

Founded by landscape architect Charles Eliot in 1891, The Trustees has, for more than 125 years, been a catalyst for important ideas, endeavors, and progress in Massachusetts. As a steward of distinctive and dynamic places of both historic and cultural value, The Trustees is the nation’s first preservation and conservation organization, and its landscapes and landmarks continue to inspire discussion, innovation, and action today as they did in the past. We are a nonprofit, supported by members, friends and donors and our 118 sites are destinations for residents, members, and visitors alike, welcoming millions of guests annually.