For centuries, this dramatic coastscape served as seasonal fishing grounds for indigenous peoples before European settlement turned it to agriculture. By the late-19th century it had evolved into a gentleman’s farm. Richard T. Crane, Jr., began its transformation into a sprawling summer estate during the early decades of the 20th century.
Property Acquisition History
Bequeathed by Mrs. Richard T. Crane, Jr. in 1949. Additional land given by Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Eliot II in 1980; Dr. Robert L. Goodale in 1980; Mr. and Mrs. David C. Crockett in 1981; Mr. and Mrs. David W. Scudder in 1981; and Mr. and Mrs. Richard H. Venn in 1982.
Archival material related to Castle Hill on the Crane Estate is available to researchers at the Archives & Research Center (ARC) in Sharon, MA, including the Castle Hill Collection (41.0 linear feet) regarding the Crane Family, the Crane Company, Castle Hill Foundation, and the management of Castle Hill by The Trustees of Reservations, 1832–2007. Finding aid available. Also at the ARC are the Anna Gustafson Erickson Papers (0.25 linear feet) regarding Anna Gustafson Erickson, who worked for the Crane Family from 1912 to 1913.