Property History

Saved by "The Cobblers"

The history of Tyringham Cobble

In the late-18th century, pioneer farmers cleared the forested slopes of what was then called “Cobble Hill.” The population of Tyringham grew rapidly, and included Shakers who, by the 1840s, owned an extensive 2,000-acre farm holding including Tyringham Cobble, where they pastured cattle and sheep. By 1885, the dwindling group of Shakers had sold out and moved to other communities at Hancock, MA and Enfield, CT where farming was more profitable.

Subsequent farmers grazed sheep in the Cobble’s pastures and hillsides, and, later, introduced a small herd of dairy cattle.

Today, Hereford cattle graze fenced pastures, while other fields are for hay—uses that preserve the historic agricultural character of the property.

Learn More

Visit the Tyringham Cobble page for photos, information on admission, nearby events, directions, a property map, and more

Join the Trustees

Enjoy 120 sites featuring inspired trails, historic homes, beautiful gardens, farms, summer camps and more.
Become a Member

Lend a Hand

Join a community passionate about a sustainable future and engaged in diverse projects across the state.

Support Our Work

We rely on your generous support to protect the irreplaceable landscapes and landmarks of Massachusetts.