FREEZE: Chopped herbs
TIP: after you blanch vegetables chill them in ice water to keep firm and preserve color
DRY: Herbs for cooking or tea
Flowers for crafts
1 ¼ lbs. zucchini, 4 cups finely chopped
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
2 tablespoons pickling salt
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed
½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Combine zucchini, onion and sweet pepper in a large non-reactive bowl. Sprinkle with salt, stir well. Let stand for 1 hour.
2. Drain through a sieve and press out excess water.
3. Combine drained vegetables, sugar, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, hot pepper flakes and turmeric in a large stainless-steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered until vegetables are tender- about 15 minutes.
4. Blend water and cornstarch; stir. Cook 5 minutes or until liquid thickens and turns clear, stirring often.
5. Ladle into clean jars while hot and close tight.